Tuesday

11 August 1970

11 August

Hi, Sweet things,
 

Got 2 letters, August 5 & 6, from you this morning. That really makes the day a good one. You should get 6 letters a week from me. The mail doesn't go out on Sunday, but the last 2 weeks I have written every day but sent out Saturday and Sunday on Monday morning.

How are your teeth doing now? Do they match or have they turned to candy-stripe. For $29 you should get something extra.

I am working mornings all the time right now. I like it better than afternoon because it leaves a long day free. Today I rode the bus out toward TSN. I had to check 4 B.X's before I found batteries for my radio. It only took 2 1/2 hours of riding for a .20 cent battery. The B.X. is managed by Americans at the high level, but all the store managers, etc. are Vietnamese. They seem to do a good job. One of the main depots for the snack trucks is beside my office (20 ft. away). It is run by a woman. Besides the snack bar, they send out 5 trucks each morning. That's my pastime each morning, watching them get loaded and go out.

I haven't seen any other wood product except for hope chests, tables, jewel boxes, etc. made of teak wood. No small stuff like you hinted for.

Pres. Anderson is a civilian advisor to their big military school (like West Point). He has been here 3-4 years, I think.

We usually have 1 or 2 non-members, either GI or VN at our meetings. And our baptismal font is at the house where we meet. They built it special. They have printed the tract "Joseph Smith Story" in Vietnamese so I got some and try to give away at least 1 each day.

Yesterday I gave one to Mrs. Trang, one of our instructors. She is married to a Saigon policeman and expecting her second child in October. She came into work early and we talked a half hour or more. She was born here in Saigon, and will take a months leave for the baby.


Darling, you keep talking about R&R. Well, I know how much you want to see Hawaii (and maybe me) but as I wrote, it will be in the 10th month before I could get one there as it stands now. That would also be about the time I get my assignment and so much depends on that, that I don't think we should plan for you to come. If it could be earlier, maybe in the 6-8 month maybe that would be different, but you have to go on a waiting list by time in country and that means 10 months now. I talked to a guy at conference who had just returned from Sydney. I could go there after only 4-5 months. He gave me the name and address of a family there who takes in church members on R&R. It would cost less than $100 for 6 days there. All R&R is 6 days, by the way, not 2 weeks. I know you may think I'm selfish & don't love you much not to want you to meet me and then talk about going some place else alone, but I am concerned about that assignment and the possible leave time and big expense connected with it.

Because of the coming cutback in the total Air Force, there is talk of a lot of changes in regs for guys at 20 years or over. Things like a force-out at 20 for some, a 7 day period for retirement or PCS on all assignments included SEA and a bunch of other ideas, which should also be firmed up in the next few months and would affect my getting out, moving the whole family, etc. I hope you can see what I'm talking about and why it's impossible to make any firm plans now.

The only way I can describe the food is "Excellent". I don't know if I've lost any (no scales handy) but I think maybe a pound or 2. I eat 3 meals daily but watch what each time, no bread, potatoes, lots of salad. It costs more to eat 3 meals than 2, but it is easier for me. How about you, do the scales talk right to you??

Did Nancy find her ring? I hope so.

Do you know yet where Jimmy will go to school? From those clippings I doubt if you do or will for awhile.

I don't know for sure the time difference but I think we're about 12 to 13 hours ahead of you. Like now at 6 p.m. Tuesday it is only 5 or 6 a.m. Tuesday there.

I am glad to hear that you are being miserly. Don't fail to buy what is needed but consider it carefully. It would sure be nice to have the bills paid off or down low by the this time next year. By the way, has the statement from Eglin Credit Union come? It should come each 3 months and I'd like to see it.

Well, I'm about out of things to write about so this is a good place to stop for now. Keep a smile up & be sweet & good. See you in my dreams.

Love,

Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment