15 August
Dear Family,
Happy birthday, dear mother, happy birthday to you. I hope you had a happy day today and don't feel any older.
Congratulations, Carol on your award. I know you will be away when the letter comes, but I'll say it anyway. I am proud of you and I know Y.C. next year will be great if you help to plan it. One little hint of advice from old Dad, write down every little detail, both good and bad from this year now and then you will have good references next year. It's so easy to forget. Of course your #1 reason for not enjoying this year won't help too much, boys will always be choosing "younger" women.
I'll bet the Linds were really good speakers. I heard him on a Priesthood broadcast a year or so ago.
I'm kind of disappointed in the boys from the branch too, but, Y.C. is to help widen your circle of friends and meet new, different people. You see the kids from your own branch almost every day. Don't think the world only goes as far as you can see it.
Sounds like you had some real fireworks across the street. Speaking of people up on the roof, did anyone ever clean out the gutter along the front porch? It was plugged with leaves, you know. But, BE CAREFUL - DON'T FALL OFF!! A bath by candle light sounds romantic. How about it, Nancy?
Thanks for the blessing. I just felt like I needed it here to read once in a while. I got a nice letter from Pres. Griner today, too. I really appreciated it.
I just heard on the radio that the corn blight like you sent me the clipping on has spread all over the midwest and may cut the U.S. corn crop by 1/2. That's sure bad.
No, Nancy, I don't get Southern Serenade on my radio but the FM station here has good music like the one in Valdosta. The other military station (AM) has all kinds of music, stories, sports, etc. Then there are 3 or 4 Vietnamese stations but their music is worse than Japan.
Hey Man, you had better be glad school starts in 2 more weeks. Your last couple of letters have been pretty good but the spelling could be better. I want to see a report card with all "A's" & "B's" from you this year. I know you can do it, just don't play as much, specially with girls. You had better watch for Granddaddy on those one-way streets. He is getting kinda old and doesn't think so fast sometimes.
I bet your Mom is having kittens over the beer joint. Where did they open it up at? I'll give it 3 months to close up, they are both too hard-headed for it to last any longer.
Today is some sort of holiday here. Kids across the street have been playing with sparklers and now have a fire burning right on the sidewalk.
Even if you don't want to be real mean, you can always call the bank and get the balance on the account. And you know, I don't have any way of checking when you pay off your boyfriend with a check on the other bank. Guess we'll first have to trust each other, suppose?
I'm glad the kids are on my side on the R&R question, even if Mom isn't 100% yet. But, I wrote you more on that the other day, We'll see.
I appreciated your sending the tracts, I hadn't seen the one "Life's Greatest Questions". We have a good stock of all the others here.
I'm afraid that you can only get one paycheck a month from Uncle S. That's all I get too. So if you want another one, you had better talk "Tupperware".
Today I was over to the church and coming back the bus kept me waiting nearly an hour because of an accident. Here is what I saw and did:
First a man rolled out his Lambretta scooter and then he, 3 kids and a little pug-nosed dog got on and rode away. Next, a family of 4 came walking by and as they neared, the man took off his hat and begged me for money, all of them smiling all the while. Then 4 Boy Scouts came by carrying packs to go camping. This was on a busy street, I don't know where they would camp. Then, 2 very nice looking older ladies came by, stopped and showed me a letter, typed in English saying that they were from an orphanage and asking for money. They also had pictures of the children. Since I only had 500 Piastres (about $4.25) I didn't given them any. They went away smiling too.
Then 2 boys about 8-10 years old came by and wanted to talk. Of course they didn't speak English. They had to feel the hair on my arms (these men don't have any) and they wanted me to give them my pencil, cap or anything I would give them. About then it started to rain so I went to a shelter and they left. How's that for 30 minutes of excitement?
Well, I'll close for now and finish tomorrow.
-------------------------------------------------
Note: I was named as Youth of The Year for our mission. The "Linds" being referred to is Astronaut Don Lind who is a member of the Church and the guest speaker at Y.C. = youth conference.
Dad made reference to my not enjoying Youth Conference...Clayton hurt my feelings after hanging out with another girl. The both of us continued our dating until he left for his mission, but Mom never forgave him for hurting me.
The gutter cleaning fell to me and because of the tin roof and water being used to clean out the leaves, I almost fell off the roof, but was stopped when one of my feet got caught in the gutter.
16 August
Well
I just got in from Church and its raining frogs and fishes so I'll
finish my letter and then when it stops, I'll go get my Sunday paper. I
found out where those Scouts were going yesterday. There is a big
Buddhist school right by the church and this morning the whole courtyard
was filled with Boy and Girl Scouts who had camped there overnight.
Our
meetings were real good today. There were 25 for Priesthood and about
40 for Sunday School and Sacrament. They were to baptize a sailor, but I
didn't stay for that as this rain was threatening then.
An Army
E-6 was supposed to go with me today, but I waited 45 minutes at the bus
stop and he didn't show. They asked me to speak next Sunday in
Sacrament so I'll try again to get him there.
I sure
enjoyed the pictures from the ark and I'll send them back in the next
letter. I looks like that would be a good place for a picnic. Let's
go!
Like I
told you the other day, I start working at TSN tomorrow. I really don't
know what I'll be doing or what my hours will be. The school is not
really on the base but is near there, kind of out in the country, I
think. It will be a change anyway.
I am
making progress in my church job, I guess. We have records on all of
the VN members, but it takes months of maybe never getting GI records.
Please check with the clerk there to see if they have sent out the pink
copy of me. They really need it here. Also, the supplies for next year
hadn't been ordered so Pres. Andrews asked me to take care of that
today. It won't be much, Priesthood, Sunday School and MIA, but he
thought that they were ordered back about June 15.
Well, the rain has about stopped and I am out of news so, time to quit.
Be sweet, be careful and God bless you.
Your loving old Dad, Jim
No comments:
Post a Comment