Sunday

20 August 1970

August 20

Dear Mother and Children:

How is everybody around your house today?  I hope you are all happy and sweet as can be.  As for old Dad, he is considerably irritated.  Somebody stole my radio yesterday while I was at work.  It was locked in my room and the maid was the only one who had a chance to get it.  Whoever got it even took a spare battery and the box it came in, including the sales ticket.  We can't prove the maid got it but I think she will be fired anyway.  But, it's gone and there's no good in crying over spilled milk or stolen radios.

I have made up my mind to move out to the barracks as soon as a room is vacant, probably about Sept. 6.  It would mean a 3 minute bus ride or 10 minute walk instead of 30-45 minutes bus ride twice a day.  Also, I can leave work early sometimes.  As it is, we only have regular bus service at the school early in the morning, at noon, or at 6 p.m. so to leave any other time means catch a ride if you can or a 5 minute walk and 3 bus changes.  Other advantages would be:  BX 1 block, library 500 feet, Church (base chapel with L.D.S. meeting) 1/4 mile, service club, snack bar, movie, swimming pool, bank, hobby shop, etc. all within 1/4 mile.  It would be a small 1-man room.  The barracks is a tropical style one and is real comfortable.  Disadvantages would be no private bath, not as good a chow hall and maybe more interruptions from neighbors but there would not be the city traffic noise.  It would cost the same for maid services.  Many of the guys I'm working with live there now, including my boss.  And it would get me out of downtown.  You know how I hate big cities anyway.

You have probably read and heard about the congressional hearing on drug use over here.  I don't think my outfit has much of a problem but I understand that thing are really popping at Cam Rahn Bay.  One of my men just came back from there and that they arrested about 1/2 the S.P.'s there yesterday as pushers, etc.  It probably will be in the papers before you get this.

Hey, how about putting one of your little calendars in the next letter.  I have lost mine.  Might not even know when to come home.

We did a lot of work yesterday and today in re-arranging my supply room and I can see plenty of work to do.  But then, I've got a lot of time to do it so I took this afternoon off.  This Capt. that is the school commander thinks all his NCO's should work an 11 hour day like he does.  Of course, he is afraid to trust his NCO's so that is the reason for his being there all day.  He only has 60 more days to go.

I seem to be awfully short of things to write about today.  Did I tell you that I love you, Mother?  How about Jimmy?  And Susan?  Did I, Peanuts?  I spose I love Carol, too.  Any how, I love you all.  And I miss you very much.  See you tomorrow - in a letter.

Your curly-headed Daddy, Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment