Tuesday

About The Letters...

...My dad, MSgt. James Edward Cattell United States Air Force, left for Vietnam on July 11 of 1970 and returned home July 4, 1971.  During the year that he was gone, he wrote home to our family every day.  My mother, Hazel, saved those letters and now our family has a history of that time and some of the happenings in our daily lives.

My mom numbered every letter that was received and I have attempted to have record those letters in chronological order.  I have also added notes from time to time to explain some of the items listed in the letter and added pictures or additional documents, when possible.  The letters  were stored in an old ammo box and basically vacuum sealed.  The first letters remained "lost" for many, many years until Dad discovered them in an old file box in June 2011. 

I record and save these letters and other documentation so that each one of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will all have access to this material.

During this time, I had just graduated from high school and  turning 18 years old in a few days, Susan was 16 years old, Nancy was going to be 15 and Jimmy was 11 years old.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the letters...This was Dad's first letter sent home on his way to Vietnam.  He actually left for Vietnam on July 11 although he left our home in Valdosta on July 4th.  He spent time with his family in Missouri and then caught a bus to go visit family in Kansas City before traveling to Travis AFB.


July 16 (I hope) (This is what Dad actually wrote)

I'll try to write some now before they bring lunch.  I am still on the plane and we just left Yokota.  Had a great view of Fuji as we came by it.  July 15 was pretty short.  We left Travis finally about 2 a.m. this morning and flew 4 hours to Anchorage, Alaska, getting there at 3 a.m.  Of course, that far north it is day almost all the time right now.  We stayed an hour and then flew 7 hours to Yokota, crossed the date line and landed at 6 a.m. Thursday.  We stayed there about 2 hours and it's now 8:30 a.m. Thursday, I think.  We are due in Saigon about 1 p.m.

Like I told you, I had a good short visit with Joyce, Lynn and the kids.  We were delayed 5 hours at Salina, Kansas when we had an engine fire and TWA had to find us another plane.  When we got to San Francisco there were 8 of us going to Travis so we got a limousine at $5 each  We got there at 6:30 p.m. and my deadline was 9 p.m. so I still had a little time to spare.

We are flying on a World Airliner 707.  They had 5 of the homeliest stewardesses I have ever seen, but we got rid of them at Yokota and have some real cute ones now.

It was sure good to talk to all of you even if my hay fever did act up a little bit.  I must be getting soft in my old age.  Or could it be that I miss you?

I have an idea my orders may have been goofed up as I was supposed to report in on the 15th and it's already the 16th.  But I'll find out in a few more hours.  It will feel good to get a shower and clean up.  I shaved at Travis and again at Yokota, but it would feel good to wash my feet.

We had fried chicken for lunch.  It was pretty good, but I have tasted better.
_____________________________________

Note:  Dad left for Vietnam on July 14 and gave us one last phone call that evening.  Travis is Travis AFB in California.  That is the base we flew out of when we all flew to Japan.  Yokota is the Air Force Base we moved to in Japan.  Joyce and Lynn are Dad's sisters.  Oh, Dad's hay fever is his way of saying he was emotional and most likely shedding a few tears.

TWA used to be one of America's largest airlines, but is no longer in service as it merged with American Airlines in 2001.



-------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday July 16 @ 3 p.m.

I'll try to finish this up and send it even though I don't have an address yet.  We got here about 12:30.  After a short briefing, they turned us loose until tomorrow.  I'll have a good address by then, I hope, and know where I'm going. 

I just got back from the BX, had to get some underwear, I'm in an open barracks with 30 other guys temporarily, no air condition, but they do have fans and it's about 90 now.

I better quit and get this in the mail.  I love you.  Remember me in your prayers.

Love, Dad
-------------------------------------------------------------

17 July 1970

Hi all you happy people, this is Old Dad again to tell you all the latest news.

I had my first day of processing today and got my assignment.  I am going to the Armed Forces Language School in downtown Saigon.  Don't ask what I'll be doing but the purpose of the school is to teach English to Vietnamese before they go to the U.S. for schools.  I'll probably report down there about Sunday or Monday as there is more processing to do tomorrow.

All day today was spent in briefings and processing.  MACV is the HQ for all U.S. units here in Vietnam.  Most of the men are Army.  It will probably be that when I get down to AFLS.  I think that I'll be living in a hotel downtown.  Don't write yet until I get a good address.

In a briefing today they said that it has been over 2 months since the last rocket attack around here.  It looks to me like the biggest hazard is traffic.  It is like Japan or maybe worse.

Sure hope I sleep better tonight then I did last night.  I was beat after the trip so I dozed off about 4:30 yesterday afternoon and woke up at 2:30 this morning, then couldn't go back to sleep.  It's after 7 now so I'll get this sent, take a bath and then hit the sack.

Remember that I love you all.  I'll try to write again tomorrow.

Love & Kisses, Dad
------------------------------------------------------------
Note:  This is what an M-16 looks like - Issued to Dad during processing.
AFLS means Armed Forces Language School

------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 18 July

Dear Ones,

I'll write some tonight although I don't have a lot of news to tell.

We finished all processing today so I'm ready to go to work.  The only problem is that I don't have a job or a place to stay.

I talked to my First Sergeant this afternoon but he is new on the job so he wanted to wait until Monday to see the old one.  They have a surplus of NCO's and all that they have to do is supervise the airmen and civilians who do the teaching.  Everybody works a 5 hour day .  I told them I'd be glad to go home.

All the hotels downtown are filled so I'm staying in the transient barracks for now.  Maybe I'll get to move Monday.

I'm pretty sleepy so I'll try to write more tomorrow.  You can start writing to the address on the envelope.

Love and Kisses xxxxxx
Dad                     oooooo



Sunday, 19 July

Dear Loved Ones,

Just time to dash off a letter to you before supper time.

It's been a busy day so far.  I heard that the Church had a branch over at Tan Son Nhut meeting at noon so I took off walking.  They said it was only a mile or so but it's closer to 5.  I caught a ride the last couple of miles.  When I got there, I found out that another group meets here about a block from my bed.  But, since I was there I stayed for priesthood meeting and then Sacrament right after.  I plan to go to Sacrament Meeting here tonight at 7:30.

The food here has been fair so far.  It's an Army mess hall.  Practically everything here is Army.  I feel like a stranger.

It has been about 90 degrees most of the time and cools down to 70-75 degrees at night.  The barracks are not AC but do have big fans that keep it pretty comfortable.  The first day it rained all day and a little since but it's dry now.

Have you got any of those peppers yet from your Dad?  You had better keep them picked pretty close.  He planted them for us, you know.

I sure wish I had some of those ripe figs.  They would taste real good and since it's now supper time and I missed lunch, I'll close for now.  Always remember that I love you all.

Old Dad, Jim



July 20

Dear Mother, Girls and Rover,

Well I have finally arrived in Vietnam.  I mean, you can really tell it for sure.  About 8:30 this morning, the First Sergeant picked me up out at the base and brought me down to where I'll be working.  It is 8-10 miles and if you thought Tokyo traffic was bad, you wouldn't believe this.  I don't believe it and I can stand in my room here at the St. George Hotel and see it.


I am on the 3rd floor of the St. George, supposed to be temporarily.  It could be worse I suppose.  There are 3 steel beds although only one other guy (a sailor, I think) is in here now.  The room is about the size of you girls room and has a bathroom with 1920 fixtures in it.  A window in the bathroom opens on the hall (no curtain) so everybody who passes by can check your progress.  It is a couple of miles to where I work.  There is a Navy mess hall in the hotel and the Cholon BX is 1/2 mile from here. 

As far as my job is concerned, I almost don't have one.  I am assistant instruction supervisor for about 20 language instructors including an American woman, a Japanese woman, a Vietnamese woman and the rest A.F. and Navy enlisted.  My boss is an Army Captain, who seems pretty decent.  I will work 5 hours each day, 6 days a week alternating between morning and afternoon shifts.  About all I have to do is take roll of the instructors and keep them out of trouble.

My complete address:

HQ MACV TNG Div (AFLS) KC
ADV Team #62
APO SF  96243

This should be good from now on unless I get moved to another branch of the school.  It has 3 different parts around Saigon.  Some of the guys say they get mail in 3 days from the East Coast.  Of course I haven't gotten any from you yet but I'll be looking soon.

I went to Sacrament Meeting last night at the ACV Annex Chapel.  There are about 18-20 regulars there as opposed to 25-30 at Tab Son Nhut.  I will be in the Saigon branch here, a mixed VN/American group.  The mission president from Hong Kong was here yesterday looking for a place to buy.  They have district conference on August 8 at TSN.  Tell all the folks at church "Hi" for me.

My room is not air-conditioned but does have one of those old slow-turning fans hanging from the ceiling so it's pretty comfortable.

Well, I can't think of any more to write for now so I'll close and hunt a mailbox.  Growl at the tom cat for me.

All my love, Dad.


St. George Hotel

View from the St. George Hotel
 ----------------------
Notes:
Dad called Jimmy "Rover" because Jimmy was in a stage of life where he thought he was a dog and would jump around on all fours and bark like a dog.

Dad was responsible for the living conditions for all the instructors while he was attached to the language school downtown and there was puddles of water from the rain all the time in their rooms.

Cholon was a suburb of Saigon.


21 July

Dear Ones,

Well I have done pretty good I think.  I have written every day for a week now.  And that must be some sort of a record.  I don't know how long it can last.

I hope you are all well and feel good.  Has it stayed real hot there?  It stays about 90 most of the time here and not much rain although we had a little shower this morning. 

This clipping from the Stars and Stripes will bring you up to date on the local war news.  This area is 3-4 miles from here.  There are many reminders of war all around.  Things like barbed wire, blockades on the streets, oil drums filled with sand, stacks of sandbags and guards all over.  It is really pretty quiet around now but everybody stays alert because the VC can still do most anything when they want to.  I still have my M-16 rifle  but also got a 38 pistol today to carry when I'm traveling on the bus or riding guard with someone in a jeep.  The pistol is more convenient. 

The maids are ironing all my uniforms today so I should have clothes for a while.  They charge 50 cents a uniform to wash and iron.  Things are really pretty expensive here. (meant to be a joke).


The water went off last night just before I got a shower.  All our drinking water is hauled in by truck.  The stuff that comes out of the pipes isn't fit to drink.

I suppose I had better close for now.  I can't think of much to say except of course, I love you all and miss you very much.  Be sweet.

Love, Dad

P.S.  I don't mail these until 7:30 the morning after I write, so let me know how long it takes.

-------------------------
Notes:  Stars and Stripes was/is a newspaper printed continuously since World War II. It exists to provide independent news and information to the U.S. military community.  


23 July

Dear family,

I'll try to get my letter writing done early today.  I think I'll go exploring a bit this afternoon when I get off work.  There are 5 military bus routes around Saigon so I plan to get on and ride all the way around on each one over the next few days.  I don't feel quite so lost now even in getting from the hotel to school.

Speaking of the hotel, I guess I'll have to get some boards to go in my bed.  Its the old steel G.I. cot and sags a lot.  I can tell that it will soon bother my back.  My roommates have all moved out and I have been alone the past 2 nights.  By moving my bed right under the fan I have been comfortable.

When you get a chance (no hurry) you can send me a care package.  I need my foot spray also you can send the big camera.  People will never believe some of the things I have seen,  Those are the only things I need right now. 

Because of all the clothes they issued me, I have more than I'll ever need so I may mail some home when I get a little money.  I sure won't need my blues.  One 1505 and 1 fatigues would have been plenty, because they issued me 5 complete uniforms including underwear.  I can't wear garments, everything has to be O.D. color.  I can only wear civilian clothes in the hotel.  By the way, this hotel is really something.  It's the kind you can get for $2 a night in the States.  No rugs, no curtains, just beds, a dresser and a desk.

Well, the mail man will be leaving in a few minutes so I'd better close.  Don't hurry on the package, 2 or 3 weeks will be fine.  Give everybody a big hug for me and pat Rover on the head.

Love to y'all, Dad

P.S.  I wrote Mom and your folks yesterday.
-------------------------
Notes:  This is what a 1505 uniform looked like.  O.D. means Olive Drab.


24 July

Dear family,

Happy Pioneer Day.  I am writing this at work.  I came in on the first bus at 6:30 a.m. to unlock so that gives me a few minutes before all the crowd arrives.  Then, I get off at noon.  I sure am catching up on a lot of sleep.

I rode one of the buses thru downtown yesterday afternoon.  It sure is a lot different then where I live.  They don't allow big trucks there and it's a lot cleaner.  Today I hope to explore more.

I still have not got a letter from you guys, but expect to soon.  It will be good to hear from you.  Jimmy are you keeping the grass cut and the yard all clean?  I hope so.  How is sewing and other plans for Youth Conference coming?

We haven't had any rain now since Tuesday.  This monsoon season is not so bad.

I miss you all.  Pray for me and be sweet.

Love, Dad


July 24 7 p.m.

Dear Family

Well I have already written once today but it went out this morning and this won't go out until tomorrow.
It has been miserably hot today.  I rode the bus out to Tan Son Nhut (TSN) this afternoon to check into my travel pay.  They said a check had been mailed so I should have it in a few days.  They are building a new road out that way by 3rd Field Hospital and the dust was in clouds.  Four Army Lt. nurses got on the bus out there.  With them wearing fatigues and combat boots and all sweaty and dusty I couldn't help wonder if this was the glamour they looked for when they were commissioned.

It started to rain about an hour ago so maybe it will be a little cooler tonight.  I managed to steal borrow? a piece of plywood for my bed today so it should sleep better.

I talked with the District President today, a Major Folkman at TSN, and found out that the Saigon branch meets a 20 minute walk and 2 bus rides from here.  They have Priesthood, Sunday School and Sacrament Meeting one after another at the home of an American civilian member so I'll try to go there Sunday.

I have found that you can take a G.I. bus to almost any place.  All you need is time and patience.

The water here in the hotel has been off for several hours but I think it is back on now so I'll close and get a shower.  Write soon and tell me all the troubles you must have had by now.  Love ya.

Love, Old Dad
-------------------------------
Notes:  Dad said he always thought about how these new young nurses felt about being in a frontline hospital in a war zone and might never see something like this again with guys who have had their arms and legs blown off.


Sunday 26 July

Dear Family,

Here I sit, in my shorts and socks, under the fan trying to cool off.  It's 2 p.m. and I have just gotten back from church.  I attended the Saigon branch today, were I am supposed to.  It is a 45 minute bus ride from here.  They meet in the home of the 2nd counselor.  Priesthood is 9:30, S.S. 10:30 and Sacrament at 11:30.  It was really a Dukes mixture of people, about 20 G.I.'s of all kinds (A.F., Navy, Army) 12-15 Vietnamese and Chinese and a German couple who lives here in Saigon.  There were 7 or 8 college age Vietnamese who are members.  The B.P. told me they have 17 Aaronic Priesthood among the local people, so altogether there are about 75 VN members.  All the ones that were there today spoke good English.

I couldn't help but think of you guys all morning and wondering if you were O.K.  I'm glad for the Church here.  There are about a dozen young single guys here.  Maybe I can find a guy for you, Nancy.  Some of them are pretty cool. 

I had a roommate last night but he is gone today.  He was an Army E-8 going home to retire.  Other than him, I have been all alone all week.

Well, a shower has blown up so it is raining now.  Maybe it will cool off some.

If you think of it, stick in that order blank for Articles of Faith cards next time you write.  And you might put in some of my old cards too if there are any around.  I find lots of uses for them.  That blank was on the mantel in the den last time I saw it.

I am really disappointed that I haven't met a soul here that I know in the past.  I must be slipping.

I never did tell you how much Dave and Erma enjoyed their visit.  She especially liked it.  It guess it was the first real vacation they had ever taken.  And she sure did brag about your cooking (and your Mother).  I never knew your macaroni salad was that great.  Dave tried to fix eggplant like your Mothers. 

I hope you feel better about their visit.  That trip to Missouri convinced me even more that I don't want any recap tires.  They just doesn't stand the hot weather and high speed.  I never did check Carol out on tire changing.  You should plan to get a new tire for her car about 1 Sept. and get all 4 balanced then.

I am really disappoint in the BX's here.  They just don't have tape recorders, stereos, etc.  They have to be ordered from Japan.  And most things like that are more expensive in town than they would be in Valdosta.  Inflation is terrible here.  Maybe I'll save some Confederate money.  There isn't much to spend it on except food.

Well, I'll stop rambling and close for now.  I'd love to be with you all and maybe make a churn of banana ice cream but that will have to wait.  Until then, I love you all.

Love, Dad

P.S.  Here's a school patch for Jimmy.

-----------------
Notes:  Dad often wondered about those members when the Viet Cong entered Saigon and took over the government.

Dave and Erma are referring to Dad's brother, Dave and his wife Erma.


Monday July 27

Dear family,

Well today started out really good.  When I got to the office I found 2 pieces of good news, a letter from my wife and a check for the rest of my travel pay ($8.70).

The letter was the first one you wrote, on July 13 and of course it had the address on my orders which is so far wrong I'm surprised that I got it at all.  I expect to start getting your letters pretty regularly now and hope you are getting mine.

Well, by now plans for Youth Conference should be pretty well firmed up.  What arrangements did they make for transportation?  I was glad to hear that Carl Henderson was called as Scoutmaster.  I think he can do the job if he will.  I saw a troop of Boy Scouts downtown yesterday.

Have you talked to Bro. Barlow recently?  I hope you have got most of the arrangements made by now.  Of course it's still 3 weeks away but that goes fast.  As far as Jimmy being ordained by Bro. Barlow, I sure don't want to press the idea, I just felt that he would want to be ordained but if he feels strongly about it, it can wait until I return.  I'm not trying to pass of the privilege, just trying to let him go if he wants to.

Did you get your wig straightened out?  I hope so.  And speaking of cats, how are ours doing?  I bet the kittens are a lot of fun by now.  I can't help but laugh every time I think of Tom out in the big, bad world being chased by every Tom, Dick and Mary who comes along.  Some are just not born to be heros.

My cough cleared up about the time I left Mom's.  I think the flying helped.  I feel real good except the back bothers some.  Not used to the bed, I guess.

Well, I'll close for now.  Take care of yourselves.  Write often.

Love, Daddy




--------------------------
Notes:  Dad did in fact not wind up ordaining Jimmy to the priesthood.  At this writing, we do not know who did. 

Zachary was the mama cat and Amole was the daddy.


Tuesday 28 July

Dear family

Happy anniversary, darling.  And a happy birthday to that big kid around there too.  I hope you both had a good day.  As for me, I have had a small headache most of the day.

I got a second letter from you today.  It was the one you wrote last Friday, the 24th.  You mention that you have written several others and that they have lots of news.  I can't wait to get them.

I am still here in the St. George hotel and will be for another month or 2.  It is strictly enlisted G.I's here, mostly Army and Navy with some Koreans and Australians - no civilians.  I wouldn't mind staying here if I had a good roommate.  It's close to chow, the BX, etc.  and only 2 flights of stairs, 47 steps to climb.  Some of the guys are 6 or 8 floors up and no elevators.

I opened my package today.  Thanks for the cookies, how did you know I like peanut butter?  I gave one to each of the two maids that work on this floor and they really liked them.  They are a couple of characters.  One is 48 and the other is 30.  They do lots of small favors for me like shine my shoes and put my clothes in the drawer after washing them.  In return I pick up soap and starch for them at the BX.  I believe I could leave my room open and everything out and they would never let anything happen to it.  If these people like and trust you there is nothing they wouldn't do for you.  Yesterday they had just finished lunch when I came in from work and they gave me a boiled banana.  It wasn't bad at all.   I haven't eaten much of the local food but it looks good.  The VN have a snack bar just outside my office door for their students, their pastry is different but good.


I guess my present job will last at least until the first of the year.  They are putting up a new building near TSN to be ready about then and may combine the 3 schools at that time.  There is a chance they may move the AF out of the Koelper (where I am now) and turn it over to the Army before then.  They run most every part of it anyway.

I'll close for now.  Remember I love you all.  Be sweet.

Love, Dad 
xxxxx
ooooo (and he drew a peace sign)


Wednesday 29 July

Dear family,

I guess this will be a short letter because I can't think of much to say.  I didn't get any mail today so there's none to answer.

I got a haircut this afternoon.  It was 40 cents at the BX.

It is pretty cool tonight, maybe 80 degrees so it should be good sleeping.  I complained to the maid about my small pillow so she got me 2 small ones.

I sure do miss you all.  There's not even anybody to argue with around here.

You should have gotten your check by the time you get this letter.  If you haven't gotten it by the 4 or 5th of August, go to Personnel at the base and give them *@!#!*@.

Guess I'll eat a peanut butter cookie and go to bed.  God bless you all and pray for me.

Love, Dad


30 July

Dear family,

Still no letter from you today but I'll still write even if you don't.

It's a little after 8 p.m. and I have just finished moving.  I came from the third floor to second and got a 2 man room instead of 3.  I understand my room mate has a permanent shack but was ordered to keep a room in the hotel so I should be all alone most of the time.  Besides being one less flight of stairs to climb, this is a lot nicer room.  The paint is good, the bathroom (private) is nice and good furniture.  Besides beds and 2 wall lockers each, I have a chest (5 drawer), desk, 2 chairs, one a padded relaxer and a nightstand.


Darling, will you see if you can get your tape recorder fixed.  I found out that I can order one that uses the casettes for about $35.  There is no point in buying 2 if that one can be fixed.  I won't be able to order one this month and it takes 3 weeks for delivery so it will be nearly Oct 1 before I can get one.

Tomorrow is payday.  I don't know if I will get any or how much.  I should have about $80 coming and I have $15 left so if I don't get it tomorrow I will have to go hunting or hungry one or the other.

I'm really looking foward to getting all those letters that you have sent.  I still don't know what all that "news" is that you mentioned in your letter of July 24.

Well I'd better close for now.  Lots of straightening out after the move.  Here's a whole load of hugs and kisses.  Spread them around.  I love you.

Love, Dad


Friday July 31

Hi Gang,

I got your letters today that you wrote last Sunday.  It sure was great to hear from ll of you (except Jimmy.  What the matter, boy, break your arm)?

I gather from your letter that Carol must have hurt her toe.  The letters telling about that haven't arrived yet.  One reason may, be sure you put "KC" after AFLS on my address.

How do you rate going to Jubliee?  Was your club party that good?  That must be in the other letters too.  Anyway, if you feel strong and up to it, I don't mind.  Just don't overdo.

Well, today was payday and I didn't get paid.  Of course only about 10 of 75 guys got their checks so I'm not worried.  I'll wait until Monday to holler.

Congratulations on your new calling at church, Susie.  It's important that you pay attention to details.  I know that you can do a god job.  This is the sort of thing that merits a trip to BYU or some other sort of special blessing later on.  Don't stand in your big? sisters shadow.  Make your own.

Where did you get the word "bottle-picking-uping" from Susie?  And how come you started that?  Did things get that tight around home?  I bet you are a living doll with your crew cut.  Faith, Hope and Charity to you.

No Carol, I haven't gotten your "other letters" but I'm sure they will come in so don't write again.  I'm glad your toe is better.  Did you step on it?  You wrote about your trip to Moody, but didn't say how school is coming along.  Your little statue is sitting here on the desk pointing at me right now.  All the maids have to comment about you and my big family picture.

Now, Jimmy, what's happening to you?  Have you worn out your bicycle yet?  You had better be swimming and going to the Boys Club regularly.  And howare your friends Mr. Mitchell nd Miss Dorothy?  Tell them I said "Hi".  I hope you are keeping the neighborhood lawns looking nice, including ours.

I really enjoy my new room.  Although it is not air-conditioned, it is fairly cool.  My desk is in front of a window that overlooks the hotel parking lot and a real busy street.  I just counted 66 cars, motorcycles, etc., pass by in a minute and the traffic is light now.  I also can see down into the yard of a home next to the hotel.  It is fenced in by a high tin fence but I can see over that and see banana and palm trees, bamboo and a little pool.  There are bananas almost ripe on the tree. 



Another rain is coming up.  It rained real hard about noon just as I was getting off work.

I'll close for now and send you los of love.  Thanks so very much for all the letters.  They mke my whole day.

Love & Kisses, Daddy

P.S.  If you haven't sent the camera, when you do put in a small pair of pliers and a small common screwdriver.  OK.

-------------------------------------------- 
NotesI had been to a young men/young women activity. While playing "Fruit Basket Turnover", someone stepped on my foot and ripped the toenail almost off my big toe. It was standing straight up and I was in a great deal of pain as raw nerves were exposed. 

Jubilee referred to a Tupperware convention/celebration which takes place every summer at the corporate headquarters in Orlando to recognize and reward top-selling individuals such as Mom.

No recollection of the new calling Susan apparently received.

The "bottle-picking-uping" began when Mom and we kids would drive over to Brookfield to visit with Grandmother and Granddaddy McGhee.  We always stayed off the interstate and took the back road through Nashville.  Once leaving Valdosta, and until we got to Nashville, Mom would drive on the side of the road and we kids would get out and collect discarded bottles along the way and put them in the back of the car.  Once we got to Nashville, we would "cash" in the bottles and then visit to Dairy Queen and get us some ice cream.  We did this the entire year Dad was gone.

The statue referred to given by me was a "World's Greatest Dad" as a birthday present.


Saturday, August 1

Dear family,

Today I got your letters you sent on 23 July.  Now, I have a good idea of what you have been talking about in the last couple of letters.  There must still be 2 or 3 that haven't arrived.  I do hope you are getting mine.  I think I've written every day so far except they may have been set out 2 the same day sometimes.

Carol, honestly I think we should have named you Grace.  If you wanted to see those guys in the emergency room that bad, I bet Mom would have taken you by without going to all that trouble.  I thought you had Clayton on the string, is it that bad?

That neighborhood has never seen the likes of the Cattells.  Imagine a fire truck to get a stupid cross-eyed cat off the roof.  I would have left him there.  If he got hungry enough, he would have come down the very same way he got up.  Have you got the bill yet from the Fire Department?

I assume you must have had a $1000 week.  That letter hasn't come in yet.  That's really good.  But like I've told you before, don't over do.  I'll bet Kathleen was glad to see you back in the swing.

I wrote you about the rockets a couple of weeks ago but I suppose you have heard of the bomb at the Ky Son Hotel last night.  It's about 1 1/2 miles from my hotel.  They blew up the generator but no one was seriously hurt.  Several of our guys, including the 1st Sgt. live there.  The gas tank for the generator caught fire with the flames 3 or 4 stories high fairly close to the building.  Of course all the hotels are fireproof concrete so there was no real danger.  The VC does something like this every few weeks, mostly to impress the civilians that they are really strong, but they are not.  I really feel quite secure and go any place I want to without fear of danger.  Don't believe all those wild stories in the papers.

Well, tomorrow is Church day.  I'm glad I have to work 6 days because it makes the time go fast but I'm also glad for Sunday to come.  Next week is conference.  Maybe I'll see somebody I know there. 

I'll close for now.  Be good and sweet.  I love you all.

Love, Dad

------------------------------
Notes:
Re: the ER.  Refer to an earlier notation about the my toe accident which occurred on July 21 at M.I.A.

According to a diary entry I wrote on July 20:  "Amole (our male cat) had been missing all day and we thought that somebody had probably stole him.  But tonight, when Mom and I were outside, we heard some meowing. There was Amole on top of the Harper's roof.  We girls couldn't get him down so Mom went and called the fire department and they got him down."

Re:  The $1000 week - Mom was a Tupperware manager and did parties.

Re:  The bombing at the Ky Son Hotel:

Aug 02, 1970, Friday Stars & Stripes reported: (Richard Carvell)
Blast, Fire Rip Ky Son BEQ in SaigonBy: SPEC 5 CHARLES C. SELF
S&S Staff Correspondent
SAIGON – A 45-pound explosive ripped open a fuel tank outside the Ky Son enlisted men’s quarters in
downtown Saigon Friday night setting off a fire that swept through the bottom floor and caused the evacuation of the building.
No injuries were reported in the explosion or fire although a security guard standing near the generator was reportedly knocked into the street by the blast.
Lights in several nearby U.S. buildings blinked as the explosion destroyed a generator at the BEQ. The Plaza Hotel, Ky Son Annex and Dai Nam Theater also lost their electricity.
A civilian engineer setting up a new generator after the explosion explained that the charge had apparently been placed next to a 600-gallon fuel tank serving the generator.
When the bomb went off, it caused the fuel tank to explode – breaking windows on the first three floors of the building. The first that followed swept the ground floor and caused some damage to the second floor.
Residents of the nine-story building said dense smoke poured into the upper floors forcing residents, some still in night clothes, to leap to the roofs of adjoining buildings or grope through the darkened halls to stairways leading to the roof.
Two automobiles in front of the building were gutted by fire, and a third was damaged.
Officials said the men would be housed in other billets until the damage could be repaired.
"Everyone acted pretty good," one man said. "Everybody kept their cool. The guys who were in charge really did a good job. They had gas masks and flashlights and helped everybody get out pretty smoothly."
The next day, August 3, this short article appeared in Stars & Stripes updating the bombing:
Aug 02, 1970, Friday (Richard Carvell) - 4 Hurt in Blast At Ky Son BEQ (Richard Carvell)

S&S Vietnam Bureau
SAIGON – The enemy terrorist bombing of the Ky Son BEQ in Saigon Friday night left four persons injured – two Vietnamese civilians and two U.S. personnel – according to the U.S. Command.
The U.S. wounded were treated at a dispensary and released, spokesmen said.
The 30- to 40-pound plastic charge, that ripped through a generator fuel tank and did moderate damage to the nine-story building, was placed by "an undetermined number of enemy terrorists," the command reported Saturday.


Clayton was my boyfriend at the time.  We dated for a couple of years before he left on his mission to Fiji.


Sunday August 2

Hi Y'all

Hope you are all feeling real great.  Might as well, you know.

Last night I went down to the BX and bought 4 towels to put up for a curtain at my window.  They keep the lights on in the parking lot all night and so maybe curtains will keep out some light and I can sleep better.

While at the BX, I saw some wood carvings like my "girlfriend" for $4.15.  I say like mine, but really they were only the same pattern.  These were about 4 inches shorter and looked like they had been hacked out by drunken bums, not at all smooth and graceful like mine.

Today at church, I was called to be Executive Secretary of the branch.  Pres. Anderson wants me to work mostly in training the Vietnamese to take positions in the church.  We must have had over 40 for S.S. and Testimony Meeting.  About 15 were local people.  2 Navy men were baptised this afternoon.  It sure brought back memories of Tokyo.

After church I rode the bus out to TSN and guess who got on the bus?  Lyle Norris had just gotten in last Thursday and was on his way to work.  We rode together for 10-15 minutes and had a great visit.  Jean and the kids are in Las Vegas.  He only spent a couple of days so didn't see the Christensen's.  He did visit some with the Moores at conference in D.C. the last of June.  We talked like it had been 2 weeks since we had last seen each other.  He is still the same great guy as ever.  He kept saying "Wait till I tell Jean who I met on the bus today".

Monday A.M.

I'll finish this up and get both sent off.  I got a headache last night so went to bed about 6 p.m.  I feel OK this morning.

Say "Hi" to everyone for me  Remember me in your prayers.  I love you all.

Love, Dad

-------------------------------
Notes:

My "girlfriend" refers to a carving brought from the Philipines by Roy McClellan.  The carving was of a Madonna and Child.  Dad had seen a similar one and asked Brother McClellan to bring one back on one of his AF flights to the Philipines.

The Norris' were in our small little branch in Yokota AFB, Japan. 


August 3

Dear family,

Hey, guess what?  I got 4 letters from you guys today and 1 from Sgt. Wood.  Yours are for the 27, 28, 29 & 30 so that about catches up except for some back before the 20th of July.  Of course they had the Det 11 address and they may have been on that plane that ditched just off Okinawa.  They said in the paper that most of the mail had been recovered and would be delivered when it dried out.  I think the mail will be OK now.  It just take time to get addresses, etc.

I'm sure sorry about Dad's calves.  I was kinda worried though when he got them in hot weather.  They just can't take it.

Just hang on to my driver's license.  I sure don't need it here.  I have a military one but before you can drive you have to test on the international signs.  I don't plan to test.  But you know, with all the traffic and a lot of rain I have yet to see the first accident.  You asked about the traffic, well there is people walking, in the street, across the street, anywhere.  Then there are bicycles and motorcycles.  I bet the Honda man here is a billionaire.  Then the rickshaw things called pedi-cabs (they are pedalled by a man) and then the same thing only with a scooter pushing the cab.  Then come mini-buses, these are 3 wheeled, kinda like a pickup but seats down each side.  They hold 6-10 passengers and there must be a hundred thousand of them in Saigon and all with straight pipes and no mufflers.  Then comes little Renault cabs and regular size cabs and cars and pickup trucks and big buses and huge trucks and once in a while a horse and wagon.  Mix all these together and crowd them on the street with few cops and you understand about the traffic.  That's why I want the camera.  Even you wouldn't believe it.  I didn't!!



You asked about women living in the hotel.  There aren't any.  This hotel is all leased by the Army and is just like a barracks.  Some women work at the desk in the lobby during the day (like a C.Q.) and the maids come in at 7 a.m. and must be out at 6 p.m.  They are all older women, maybe 1 or2 between 35-40 and the rest older.  One is assigned every 6 or 8 rooms to clean, do laundry, etc.  They do wash by hand, by the way.  We pay the hotel and then they pay the maids.  It's costing 1750 piastres (about $15) a month now.  Mine makes my bed, shines shoes, washes, irons, sweeps and mops and seems to do a good job.  I may stay right here at the St. George if things go well.  I kind of like the location and am trying to get a refrigerator for cold water, soda, etc., but since I moved to the 2nd floor, it's not too bad to go down to the lobby for a drink of water.



I hope you have gotten your check by now and can keep the wolf and the Sheriff away.  I had to fight to get some money today but finally got the $80 I felt coming.  They told the First Sgt. this morning that I had gotten paid there the end of July when I got here.  I don't think it is straight yet but I got my money anyway.  About your problem, I am sure Mom would loan it to you, but I'd rather you get it from the friendly loan co. instead.

Of course, the glass on my picture didn't get broken.  I packed my suitcase.  You are all smiling back at me right now. 

Saigon is a big city, probably 2 or 3 million (about like Atlanta) and it does have a lot of attractive women, much more so than Japan.  Not the flat faces like they were hit by a truck and more slender legs.  They are also a little taller and more full bodied.  And, all the people are more expressive.  They smile a lot and are very friendly.  The ones I deal with at work, in the church, BX and so forth, I enjoy knowing.

I've only answered 2 of your 4 letters, but I'll close and answer the others tomorrow.  I might not get one then.

I miss you all very much and love you too.  Even Rover.  Be sweet.

Love, Daddy


Tuesday 4 August

Hi, Y'all:

How's tricks today?  It may take me all day to finish this because the men are here to replace the lock on my door, but I'll work on it.

Feeling flush as I do I walked over to the BX after lunch today and bought a small am/fm radio for $14.75.  It will help to pass the hours away.  I don't seem to have an awful lot of free time even getting off at noon.  It seems like by the time I write and get a bath and get my uniform ready for the next day, it's almost bedtime.  I try to be in the sack by 9 at the latest because 5 a.m. comes early 6 days a week.


6 August

Dear Family,
I didn't hear from you today but I wasn't really surprised, with all the mail that has come in the past few days.

It is a hot!! day here. A few minutes ago my fan quit for 10-15 minutes and I thought I would stew in my own sweat. It's back on and a breeze is picking up, probably getting ready to rain. At least it gets cool enough at night to sleep. I usually have a sheet over me by morning.

I wrote Sgt. Wood this afternoon. He's such a good guy it's a shame he's not
a Mormon. I have a MSgt. who is interested in the Church. I need to get some tracts, etc. Saturday while at conference.

I arranged to work all day tomorrow so I can be off all day Saturday. I think they have got the payday mess about all cleared up now. We got the last checks in today. This mess was caused by a goof-up in Denver, so I hope your check came through

I will try to write your folks and Mom tonight. That shouldn't be too hard, I write about the same thing to both.

I just can't think of anything else to write tonight. My head is empty.

Keep smiling, drive slow.
All my love,

Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Carol,
    I was also assigned to AFLS and really enjoyed reading your father's letters. AFLS-Vietnam personnel have had two reunions and have scheduled a third. We also have a Yahoo Group set up. Please contact me at dahjelle08@gmail.com for more information.

    ReplyDelete