Wednesday

25 August 1970

Tuesday August 25

Dear family,

Well, guess what - today I didn't get a letter from you.  But I did get a big box so that more than makes the difference.  Thanks so very much for everything.  The cookies were not broken too badly and even the crumbs taste great.  And was I ever surprised at the peanuts.  They will be save for some day when I need a special boost.

I did have some trouble unfolding the newspaper so I could read it but that's OK.  I presume the picture of Mother was taken at the state park too.  I'll just keep it for a while.

I really appreciate everything but most of all I appreciate the thoughts behind the package.

Today I decided to goof off so I left at noon and came back to the hotel.  After opening my packages and checking everything, I load down for a couple of hours nap.  Then I walked over to the BX to get some spray starch for uniforms.  On the way, I went by the place where the birthday party will be Saturday night, just so I could be sure to find it..  I didn't stop in but it's easy to find.  It overlooks a big outdoor market, so I walked thru sight seeing.  Among other things, I watched 2 women take a ring out of a pigs nose.  He weighed about 50 pounds and did he ever squeal.  Then there was a pet shop with some baby kittens about 4 or 5 weeks old. A young boy tried to tell me they were tigers.  Of course, they weren't.

They had some nice combination tape recorder/radios in the BX today.  They were $35 so maybe payday I will get one if they still have them.  They probably won't, that sort of stuff never lasts.

Well, today 5 VNAF men were assigned to the section.  They all speak some English and went thru a repair school a couple of months ago so I guess that should make my work easier.

There are plans to turn the whole section over to the VNAF in 3 months.  Maybe we will make it.  Then I will be looking for a new job but don't worry that I might be sent way off.

Well, I suppose by the time you read this, school will have started, so you can all tell me about that.  I'm expecting honor roll on all 4 of you all year long so start it out on the right foot.  That shouldn't be hard for such smart kids as you are.

Well, I'm about out of news and I want to write Pres. Griner so I'd better close for now.  May the Lord bless each one of you.  Be good and Sweet.

Love, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment