Wednesday

26 August 1970

26 August 1970

Dear Chillen and Mom

Well, here I sit, munching on cookies and trying to write to my favorite family.  

If I figure right, today should have ended the Laurel Conference and Jubilee so now at 7:30 p.m. should start the last big night for you two.  I got your letters written on 20 & 21 today, including 4 from Carol.

That's the way it goes with Chipper.  The time for the lion and the lamb to lie down together is not here yet.

Susan, you should be ashamed for Mother to have to put her foot on your face to make you write a letter to me.

I'm sure glad Daddy could use that bottle you found.  I'd hate for you all to have to drink it.  And you can have a brownie button for turning in the billfold, too.

Your dress must have been pretty expensive at that price, but if it makes you look like a little kid, that will be OK.

From our #1's letters it sounds like she had a ball before the conference ever started.  I still don't know if she was worth the cost, but it's too late now, her hide is not worth that much.

If poultry does get real cheap from the corn blight, you had better see how many you can put in the freezer. That would be some cheap eating.

You call the money "P-asters" here.  I don't suppose there are a lot of beggars for a war zone, but there are plenty around and of course kids want money or candy any time they can get it.  They haven't gotten any from me yet.

The men have small beards, maybe 100 hairs on their chin, but that's all.  I understand the TSgt that did work for me went without his shirt one day and the students almost laughed him out of town for his big pot gut and hairy chest.  So I'll keep mine hid (The hairy chest, that is).

Oh, the scouts were on separate sides of the school courtyard, 50 feet apart and they were only 10-14 years old too.

I haven't seen my Army friend recently.  I did work with him at Kogsler but not now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment